What is Asafoetida Oil?Asafoetida refers to dried latex extracted from the rhizome or tap root of several species of Ferula. The latex that is dry is called Hing in the Indian language. This herb grows in Iranian countries, and its surrounding although its primary production and use is typical in the regions of India.
PropertiesIt's a hard, sooty gum obtained from a perennial spice plant. When fresh, asafoetida is grayish-white, but with time, it darkens to yellow, red and finally brown. Traditionally, the resin of asafoetida was crushed with a hammer between two stones.
- Never take any other substance while using asafoetida in case you are prone to drug abuse, alcoholism or depression as this can result in awkward side effects.
- It is UNSAFE for babies when consumed by mouth because it might result in disorders related to the blood.
- It is UNSAFE for breastfeeding and pregnant mothers to take asafoetida orally. It can cause miscarriage. The chemicals in it could also contaminate with the breast milk.
- Don't use asafoetida if you are a victim of blood disorders.
- The supplement is contraindicated for people with central nervous conditions and epilepsy cases.
- It can interfere with the gastrointestinal, GI. The herb can irritate the GI tract. Don't use it if you have any GI infections.
- This herb is contraindicated in people with hypertension or low blood pressure.
- Stop using asafoetida at least 14 days before a scheduled surgery.
BenefitsAsafoetida is abundant in the following nutrients:
- Macronutrients- carbohydrates, fiber: Carbohydrates provide energy to the brain, heart, and central nervous system.
- Vitamins- Niacin, riboflavin: Vitamins help in reproduction, growth and overall good health.
- Minerals- calcium, iron, phosphorous: Minerals boost the immune system and maintain fluid balance.
- Terpenoids- carotene: this is a pigment that gives fruits and vegetable color. In the body, it is converted to vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant that helps in vision health, skin and neurological function.
Culinary UsesAsafoetida is available in powder or tablet form. It is wholly used for cooking as a food preservative, an additive and a scent for daily meal intake.
- The gummy extract of asafoetida is a healthy spice for a smooth taste to soups and curries.
- Cooking asafoetida provides a variation of spiciness, sweetness, saltiness, and sourness in food.
- Gummy and dried asafoetida can be mixed with salt and eaten with raw vegetables.
- It serves as a digestive medicine and a complimentary add-on to food.
- This ingredient is sometimes cooked along with garlic onions.