What is Cubeb oil?Cubeb essential oil is derived from the cubebs plant, which mostly grows in Java and Sumatra. The fruit is gathered before they are ripe and carefully dried. The odor of cubebs is described as agreeable and aromatic, and the taste as pungent, acrid, slightly bitter and persistent. It has been described as tasting like allspice, or like a cross between allspice and black pepper.
PropertiesCubeb essential oil contains sesquiterpenes, sesquiterpene alcohols and small amounts of monoterpenes. It adds nice pepper notes in soaps and fragrances and blends well with woods, Cananga, clove, and rosemary. It is extracted from the dried Cubeb berries through steam distillation method. The oil is colorless to light green with a spicy odor and acrid taste.
- Essential oil of cubebs can bother the stomach and intestines. For this reason, if you already have problems with these areas, you should avoid cubeb oil.
- Due to the nature of cubebs, it is not recommended for those taking antacids or medications that decrease stomach acid.
- Cubeb oil when mixed with other essential oils can irritate the skin of some people.
- Those who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid using it.
- Those suffering from kidney disease should not use it.
- Do not apply undiluted or internally.
- Keep away from children and eyes.
Aid to fertility problemsCubeb essential oil has natural aphrodisiac properties for which it was used by ancient Arabians and in the Unani medicinal system in the treatment of fertility problems like infertility, loss of sexual interest, impotence, erectile dysfunction, all stages of gonorrhea
Alleviates dental and oral infectionsIt has natural antiseptic, antimicrobial and astringent properties that assist in killing the harmful organisms in the mouth causing halitosis or bad breath, bleeding gums, plaque, and cavities.
FlatulenceFlatulence is awkward and sometimes painful. While there are retail remedies available, they don’t always work. The spice is an all-natural anti-gas alternative. Oil of cubebs possesses a carminative effect to aid in the relief of flatulence. Herbs or spices containing a carminative effect work to dispel painful gas and bloating. If you tend to experience chronic flatulence, you should consider following up with your healthcare provider.
Relieves respiratory illnessesMany popular Physicians and Herbalists like Nicholas Culpeper have said that Cubeb is an excellent remedy for clearing phlegm deposits, strengthening the brain, alleviating bronchitis; asthma, relieving congestion and treating cough and throat infections.
DiureticCubeb essential oil has diuretic properties that help in discharging the toxic substances in the body known as ama, which is nothing but the remains of improper digestion which slowly turns toxic.
StimulantCubeb oil acts as a stimulant in the body and promotes the proper functioning of the system. Its diuretic properties increase the quantity and frequency of urination and help in cleansing the system.
DigestionJust like Pepper, Cubeb also has hot, spicy and pungent flavor. It’s strong to increase pitta energy is of great value in dealing with digestive problems like tastelessness, loss of appetite, indigestion, constipation, flatulence, intestinal worms etc., where Pitta dosha represents fire and water and is in charge of the metabolic functions.
CoughCubeb essential oil is pungent, somewhat camphorous, with a touch of nutmeg or allspice. Many herbal and Ayurvedic websites tout that cubeb oil uses are effective against coughs and to relieve the symptoms of bronchitis.
- Cubeb is well worth using on skin rashes and inflammations.
- Cubeb oil is known to relieve asthma, hay fever, bronchitis, and chronic pharyngitis.
- Its antiseptic property is beneficial in treating gonorrhea, gleer, and leucorrhea.
- The oil’s diuretic property acts as a disinfectant relieving urinary tract infections.
- In aromatherapy, the essential oil of cubeb is used as a massage oil to relieve muscular aches, rheumatism, and stress.
- The oil regulates proper heart functioning, heals wounds and cuts faster, and cures head problems.
- The oil is widely used as an astringent.
- It is used in foods to increase appetite, improve digestion, and reduce dysentery and flatulence.
- This oil is also helpful in treating throat infections and hypertension.
- The essential oil extract is used to cure inflammations and infections.
- Cubeb oil has a gentle stimulating effect which helps in relieving muscle pain.
- It is also effective against Urinary Tract Infection.