What is Galangal oil?Galangal essential oil is extracted from the roots of Galangal plant from the steam distillation method which belongs to the family Zingiberaceae and genus Alpinia.
PropertiesGalangal oil has a spicy and bitter taste. This herb is native to Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia. It is used for medicinal purposes in India and Middle-East. Galangal is related to ginger having similar uses and qualities. Though it is non-irritant and non-toxic, it might cause sensitization in some peoples. It is used as a stimulant in natural medicine. It possesses antispasmodic and anti-bacterial properties.
- It should not be applied directly to the skin. Dilute it with a carrier oil to use it topically.
- Breastfeeding, pregnant women or people with sores and open wounds should not use it.
- It helps to treat fatigue.
- It enhances the circulation and assist joint and muscle stiffness.
- It is used as a cure for digestion, congestion, skin problems and cholera.
- This oil is a treatment for dyspepsia, flatulence, motion sickness, vomiting, travel sickness and colic.
- It helps to treat rheumatoid arthritis and arthritis.
- It is useful for treating respiratory problems such as catarrh, bronchitis, cold, asthma and flu.
- It assists in the digestion of intestinal fats.
- It is also useful for tinea versicolor and gallbladder infections.
- It enhances the mood if diffused or added to a hot bath.
- It is used in aromatherapy by adding 2 to 3 drops to the hot bath that helps to relax muscles.
- For better sleep, diffuse it at night.